Thursday, October 24, 2013

Real Hope (Ephesians 2:11-13)


Today's scripture: Ephesians 2:11-13

Separate from Christ … strangers to the covenants of promise … having no hope … without God in the world …

What tragic words. Words that described each of us before we met Jesus and accepted the gift of salvation. And they describe millions of people throughout our world today.

I can’t imagine living without Jesus in my life. I don’t know how I made it through my twenty-year rebellion without him. Without the confidence that God has a purpose for my life, a purpose for the pain, a purpose for the trials, I’d be … well, I might just not be at all.

These days, my only real hope comes from my relationship with my Lord and Savior. It hurts my heart to see people I love who don’t have that hope. I wrote in my book, The Best Laid Plans:

Why in the world would I, would you, want to look forward to another day on this earth without hope that every new day would bring the peace that God promised? God does promise us a future filled with hope. A synonym for hope is “expectation.” God promised us a future full of expectation for His provision, for His comfort, for His protection, and, yes, for His peace. I often wonder how those who don’t know Jesus have hope. What is it they hope for? Is it wealth? Is it possessions? Is it a relationship? And when money or things or people let them down, then what do they hope for? I’m ever-grateful for my Lord, who welcomed this prodigal back with open and loving arms. I’m ever-grateful that I am no longer separated from Christ, that I’m no longer a stranger to God’s covenant of promise, that I have hope, and that I am a beloved daughter of the Father.
Where are you? Are you separated from Christ, without real hope? God the Father is waiting patiently for you to open the door of your heart.

No comments: