Tuesday, May 26, 2015

The Mystery of Prayer (2 Corinthians 1:8-11)

Today's scripture: 2 Corinthians 1:8-11

Prayer is, for me at least, a great mystery. If God is omniscient, knowing all things, than He already knows what I’m going to pray before I even pray it. So why do we pray?

I think it’s because it keeps our focus on God and His will. We pray for healing or provision or strength, and we seek God’s will in each situation. We trust that He’ll do exactly what is right as He sees right. We hope in His sovereignty, knowing that all things will work out for His glory and our good (Romans 8:28).

Another reason we should pray is because when we’re praying for others, we think of them rather than ourselves. And it often puts things into perspective. When I pray for a friend with cancer, I realize how blessed I am, even with my daily aches and pains. When I’m reminded of a need for financial provision, I remember that God has given ample funds to take care of my daily needs.

Prayer is still a mystery to me, but I pray. I pray for God’s will in all things. I pray that my friends and family will find peace, will be provided for, and will be protected.

I pray for those who serve God full time. I pray for those who don’t yet know my Lord. I pray for our government, for our nation … for our world.

And I pray for you.

No comments: