Thursday, December 31, 2015

Resolutions ...

I used to make resolutions.

I don’t any more … Too many resolutions were broken (many before they were even started).

A few years ago, I decided instead to choose a “word for the year.” These words helped to “put first things first,” to give me a guideline of how I wanted to live that year. Words like focus, integrity, purposeful … Words that would make me think a bit differently, behave a bit differently.

As I prayerfully reflected on a word, the Lord would also give me a verse to go along with it. For example, the word for 2015 was purposeful. The verse associated with it was Colossians 1:29. I wanted to be purposeful to do God’s will and to touch lives for Him.

What I found is this “word for the year” encompassed everything in my life: my work, my relationships, my ministry. It brought things down to the basics: how do I want to live my life? With focus, with integrity, with purpose … all for the glory of God.

I don’t know how you look forward to each year, but may I invite you to try finding your “word for the year.” Pray about it. 

No comments: