Thursday, April 14, 2016

Comfort from God; Comfort for Others (1 Thessalonians 3:6-7)

Today’s scripture: 1 Thessalonians 3:6-7

Yesterday, I looked at how wonderful it is that we Christ-followers encourage and pray for each other. Today, it’s all about comfort.

Each of us goes through our own peaks and valleys, and when we hit bottom, the best comfort comes from those who have walked similar paths. And then we in turn can comfort others.

Paul said it well, “
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God” (NKJV, 2 Corinthians 1:3-4).  I especially like the Contemporary English Version’s paraphrase of verse 4: “He comforts us when we are in trouble, so that we can share that same comfort with others in trouble.”

I know this is true in my life. God has given me such great comfort through the valleys of my life, and I am so blessed to be able to comfort others.

I’ve held the hand of a young woman crying because she isn’t pregnant. I’ve led a small group of women who are married to men who don’t share their faith. I’ve hugged those who suffer from physical pain.

It’s such a privilege to know God uses me to comfort others.  Just as He has comforted me.

No comments: