Monday, April 18, 2016

Love Each Other! (1 Thessalonians 3:11-13)

Today’s scripture: 1 Thessalonians 3:11-13

Encourage each other. Comfort each other. Rejoice in each other.

Love each other.

I’ve written about this before: Our creator God is love, and He created us to love. We are created to love Him and each other.

The English language only has one word for love. And we use it in many ways. I love my husband. I love to read. I love ice cream. I love my family. I love dogs. I love musical theater.

I love God.

The Greek language has several words for love. Eros is intimate love in marriage. Storge is familial love. Agape is unconditional love—the love God has for us.

And Philia is love between friends. This is the love we often find when we meet our brothers and sisters in Christ. So often, we meet someone who shares our faith, and there’s an immediate connection.

Just a few months ago, I joined a new small group. From the start, I felt connected, among sisters. As we continue to share prayer requests and what God is doing in our hearts, we’re learning to love each other more and more.

Even more recently, I had lunch with a new friend, and we shared some of our stories. Our love for the Lord was clear, and we are beginning what may be a wonderful sister-ship.

As we sisters in Christ continue to grow in relationship, we’re learning to do as Jesus commanded: Loving each other as we do ourselves.

No comments: