Wednesday, October 12, 2016

For the "Elders" (1 Peter 5:1-4)

Today’s scripture: 1 Peter 5:1-4

We live in a society that worships youth. And we spend a lot of money trying to look as young as possible. We’re bombarded with ads about miracle lotions that tighten skin, makeup that erases wrinkles, dyes that cover gray … And don’t get me started about plastic surgery. It’s nuts!

I have to admit, I use some products that supposedly camouflage some signs of aging, and I do try to hide the gray. And there are definitely some aspects of growing older that kind of … well, suck! Aches and pains. Short-term memory problems. Keeping reading glasses throughout my house so I can see …

But the Bible reminds us that being older is a blessing. We who are older should be eager examples to those younger than we are. God has given us stories to tell, wisdom to share, shoulders to offer. I love being part of a faith-based community theater, but what I love most is being able to spend time with young women, being an honorary “mama” and friend to them. I pray I’m being an example of a godly woman.

We who are older are given the privilege of mentoring and teaching younger people. But that privilege requires our being true examples of our Lord. As I’ve written many times, we need to be grounded in faith. We need to know God’s word. We need to pursue His will and live according to His commandments.

Only then can we be “shepherds” to those younger than we—either in age or in faith. Are you prepared to shepherd well? 

No comments: