Friday, October 21, 2016

Inadequate ... Yet Adequate (2 Peter 1:5-7)

Today’s scripture: 2 Peter 1:5-7

Wow. I don’t know about you, but there are sometimes (many times) when I read the Bible, and I think, “There’s no way I can do this. I’m just too weak (or prideful or stubborn or weary).” I read today’s verses, and I think, “There’s no way I can do this. I’m just too inadequate.”

I mean really. Read those verses again. Peter exhorts us to moral excellence. To knowledge. To self-control … perseverance … godliness … brotherly kindness … love.

Oh my goodness. Seriously? Now, there are a couple of these attributes that I pray I manifest regularly. I pray I’m kind to my brothers and sisters. I genuinely love others. I strive to grow in knowledge of my Lord. But self-control? Moral excellence? Perseverance?

I really am inadequate. But guess what? I don’t have to do this on my own. The Holy Spirit is in me to help me. When I struggle with impatience, I can ask for patience. When I’m tempted to sin, I can ask for the strength to withstand that temptation. When I just want to give up, I can ask for stamina to accomplish what God has called me to do.

Yes, the Bible often convicts me, and I often feel I’m incapable. And I am. On my own, that is. Praise my Lord God, I’m not alone.

And neither are you.

No comments: