Wednesday, June 28, 2017

His Rich Grace (Ephesians 1:7)

Today’s scripture: Ephesians1:7

A few days ago, we looked at a new definition of riches. Today’s verse talks about how “the riches of His grace” brings some amazing gifts: redemption and forgiveness.

One definition of redeemed is “gain or regain possession of (something) in exchange for payment.” Another is “to make (something that is bad, unpleasant, etc.) better or more acceptable.”

A biblical definition is a bit more complex:

Finding its context in the social, legal, and religious customs of the ancient world, the metaphor of redemption includes the ideas of loosing from a bond, setting free from captivity or slavery, buying back something lost or sold, exchanging something in one’s possession for something possessed by another, and ransoming (Bible Study Tools).
When I think of what Jesus did for me to redeem me, to take formerly “bad and unpleasant” me and “setting [me] free from the captivity” of sin, I’m humbled. Through God’s grace, Jesus paid my penalty. He gave His life to save mine.

I am redeemed. I am forgiven.

I have received the riches of God’s grace. And if you have surrendered your life to Him? You have too.

No comments: