Sunday, August 13, 2006

A Servant's Heart

Lately, I seem to be reading, seeing, hearing a lot about being a servant. I'm currently going through a Charles Stanley Bible study on the topic. Within the last month, I've read two books on leadership that focus on it. And I just attended a conference for leaders that discussed it.

So why all this talk about serving others? Because that's what we're called to do as children of the King. Jesus served His followers by washing their feet. We can't do anything less.

I've felt very convicted about this lately, and I've been challenged to find ways to serve. I've been wanting to mentor a younger woman, so I'm starting to look at opportunities to do this. And at the other end of the spectrum, I've missed having my grandparents (I lost my last living grandparent last year), so I'm looking into "adopting" a grandma.

But beyond these, I'm also looking for every opportunity to serve others with a joyful heart. I realized that I can clean my house--something I don't really love--with a servant's heart because I'm doing something to make our home more pleasant. I can complete tasks for others at work without grumbling. I can ask for specific ways to help my friends and family.

What can you do? How can you be more like Christ? Serving others actually serves God. And serving God brings glory to Him.

Find ways to serve today. And cultivate a servant's heart.

No comments: