Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Humility of Jesus (Phil. 2:5-8)

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.
(Philippians 2:5-8, NKJV)

I read these verses and am humbled. Yesterday I wrote about pride, and how sometimes we can get caught up in what “we” can do.

Then I remember that God the Son chose to humble Himself—really humble Himself. He left the Father’s side and took on flesh. He became a human being, subject to weariness, temptation, pain, denial, and betrayal. And even more, He humbled Himself and hung on a cross to pay the penalty for my sin.

How can I think highly of myself when I know what Jesus did for me? Again, everything I am, everything I have, everything I can do is a gift from God. I do nothing without His leading, His guidance, His will.

Lord Jesus, please forgive me when I think too highly of myself, when I feel ungodly pride. Help me to be humble, to remember Your humility. I pray that all I do will bring glory to You. Amen.

No comments: