Monday, March 22, 2010

Work Out Your Salvation (Phil. 2:12-13)

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.
(Philippians 2:12-13, NKJV)

As I was praying over today’s blog, I wanted to make certain I wrote truth, especially the part about “work out your own salvation.” Some read these words and interpret them to say we can save ourselves. I don’t believe that’s what Paul meant at all. I reviewed some on-line commentaries, and one wrote:

While Christ is our Savior, and the author of our salvation, we must accept him and work together with him. Hence the Holy Spirit says, "Save yourselves" (Acts 2:40), and "work out your own salvation.” (http://bible.christiansunite.com/pnt.cgi?1102)

It goes on to define “With fear and trembling”: With constant anxiety not to fail.

Our desire should be to obey God’s commands and do His will, being confident He’s working in us according to His plan. And when we do His will, when we strive to be Christ-like in our thoughts, words, and actions, God is pleased.

I pray this will be my heart’s desire. And I pray the same for you.

No comments: