Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Suffering for His Sake (Phil. 1:29-30)

For to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake, having the same conflict which you saw in me and now hear is in me.
(Philippians 1:29-30, NKJV)

Okay. Today’s verses aren’t the most uplifting we’ve read lately. While we are thrilled we’ve been granted the right to believe in Christ, we still would prefer not to have to suffer. However, as I’ve written many times, suffering, trials, and tribulations will come. Not only do we live in a fallen world that’s becoming more and more corrupt each day it seems, but we also are smack-dab in the middle of a spiritual battle (Eph. 6:12).

I think the key here is “for His sake.” When we suffer for Christ, for our faith, and we are able to respond with joy, God is glorified. When we can use our suffering to encourage and comfort others, they may see Christ in us (2 Cor. 1:3-7). And God often uses our suffering to draw us closer to Him as we realize our own weakness (2 Cor. 7-10).

The world uses suffering as a case against a loving God, but we who know Him understand that He loves us through suffering. He guides us through the trials. He carries us through the tribulations. And He holds us tightly through the pain.

As much as I’d love to be free from my daily pain, I quite honestly wouldn’t trade the lessons I’ve learned, the encouragement I’ve been blessed to offer, and the intimacy I have with my Lord for anything. Even a healthy, strong body.

What trial are you facing today? What pain are you experiencing? Draw close to your Abba Father, and crawl into His lap. Let Him help you through the suffering, even if He chooses not to remove it.

No comments: