Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Exhoration and Encouragement (Philemon vv. 20-22)

Yes, brother, let me have joy from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in the Lord. Having confidence in your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I say. But, meanwhile, also prepare a guest room for me, for I trust that through your prayers I shall be granted to you.
(Philemon vv.20-22, NKJV)

Paul ends this short letter with such encouragement for Philemon. He found joy and refreshment in just having Philemon as his brother in Christ. He had confidence that Philemon would follow his exhortations because he knew the latter desired to serve God.

And finally, he planned a face-to-face visit.

We’ve been studying the book of Acts at church for a while now, and our pastor often pulls shows a map when he talks about Paul’s journeys. We forget how arduous travel was for Paul and other early missionaries. It wasn’t just getting in a car and driving several hundred miles in just a few hours. Or on a plane and traveling several thousands of miles in the in the same few hours.

Paul probably mostly traveled by foot. It would take days to journey just tens of miles. Yet he made the effort to get to his spiritual children. What encouragement.

And especially for Philemon. This letter wasn’t necessarily an easy read, yet he was left with the affirmation he’d been a blessing for Paul. And he’d have the added blessing of seeing Paul again.

As Philemon was both exhorted and affirmed, so am I. I pray I see every brother and sister equally, no matter their background, race, socio-economic status. I pray I’m a blessing and joy to others as Jesus shines through me.

It is, after all, the second greatest commandment according to our Lord Jesus: Love your neighbor as yourself (Matt. 22:39; Mark 12:31; Luke 10:27).

No comments: