Monday, April 26, 2010

Paying Others' Debts (Philemon vv.17-19)

If then you count me as a partner, receive him as you would me. But if he has wronged you or owes anything, put that on my account. I, Paul, am writing with my own hand. I will repay—not to mention to you that you owe me even your own self besides.
(Philemon vv.17-19, NKJV)

Often Paul wrote explicit commands to his readers. But at other times, he led by example. In today’s verses, the latter is true.

Throughout our journey through this short book, we read of Paul’s exhortation to Philemon to receive Onesimus as a true brother. And to make certain both men’s needs were met, Paul offered to cover any loss Philemon might have experienced. He would pay Onesimus’ debts.

Would we be willing to do the same? If we’re blessed to share the gospel and lead others to the foot of the cross, would we be willing to go even farther and pay their debts? To make certain they had no barriers to completely serve God?

I wonder.

No comments: