Monday, April 05, 2010

Homesick (Phil 3:20-21)

For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.
(Philippians 3:20-21, NKJV)

Are you homesick? Maybe you’re away at school, and you miss home-cooked meals. Or you’re serving as a missionary, and you long for a face-to-face conversation with your mom. Or you’re in the military, and you would give anything to hold your toddler.

I remember a time when I felt homesick. I’d spent the summer traveling with a Christian musical group, and then because of some difficult choices, I decided to move temporarily to the mid-west. It was hard being away from friends and family. And when my sister-in-law announced she was pregnant, I packed my car and moved back home.

Yes, I’ve been homesick. But I’ve never been as homesick as I am now. But it’s not for this physical home God’s blessed me with. It’s not missing family or living on memories. I’m homesick for my real home.

There’s an old gospel song, “This world is not my home. I’m just a’passin’ through.” And that’s exactly how I feel. I reside in a temporary home, and my heart longs more and more for the place of my true citizenship. One day, Jesus will take me home, whether through death or through His triumphant return.

One day, I’ll be home. And I’ll never be homesick again.

No comments: