Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fellow Workers (1 Cor. 3:4-9)

For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not mere men? What then is Apollos? And what is Paul? Servants through whom you believed, even as the Lord gave opportunity to each one. I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth. Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor. For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.
(1 Corinthians 3:4-9, NASB)

I consider myself a seed planter. I speak quite often, and every time I speak, I talk about the good news of salvation through belief in and acceptance of Jesus Christ’s death and resurrection. I talk about living to serve God and grow in faith. And I usually give those attending the opportunity to accept Christ.

However, I don’t always see results. In other words, I don’t always see someone come to faith every time I speak. When I first started my ministry, I have to admit, I felt like I was doing something wrong. Was I not eloquent enough? Did I not share the gospel clearly? Was my own faith lacking?

I’d go to other events, and when the speaker gave the “altar call,” there always seemed to be someone—or many someones—who accepted Christ.

Then I found these verses. Some people plan the seeds, and some water. Some even get a chance to “reap.” But no matter what, God is the One who provides salvation. He is the One who offers grace and mercy.

I am merely a “fellow worker” with others, and I must do my part.

Occasionally someone comes to faith the very first time they hear the gospel message. More often though, it takes hearing the truth repeated many times. So who’s to say that someone who makes a decision to follow Christ tomorrow didn’t hear God’s words through me months ago. And that’s the seed that grew so one of my “fellow workers” could reap.

We’re all in this together, and God uses each of us as He sees fit.

And again, the only thing I must do is do what He’s called me to do. And you must do the same.

No comments: