Friday, February 17, 2012

The God I Know (1 Cor. 2: 6-9)

Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away; but we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory; the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it they would not have crucified the Lord of glory; but just as it is written,
“THINGS WHICH EYE HAS NOT SEEN AND EAR HAS NOT HEARD,
AND which HAVE NOT ENTERED THE HEART OF MAN,
ALL THAT GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM.”

(1 Corinthians 2:6-9, NASB)

So much mystery surrounds faith. Indeed, “Eye has not seen and ear has not heard” the face of God or His voice. In fact, that’s one of the things skeptics struggle with: belief in an unseen God.

But those of us who truly know God have seen Him in many ways. And we have heard His voice.

I see God in the magnificent snow-covered mountains viewed from my office window. I see Him in the faces of my precious great-nephews. I see Him in the roar of the ocean. I see Him in the hummingbird fluttering just outside my window. I see Him in vibrantly-colored flowers and green grass and towering trees. I've seen Him in the pristine wilderness of Alaska and the crystal clear waters in Fiji. I see Him in the diversity of nature ... and of the people I'm blessed to know.

Or as Paul wrote, “God's eternal power and character cannot be seen. But from the beginning of creation, God has shown what these are like by all he has made ...” (Romans 1:20, CEV).

And I hear God’s voice in the silence as He speaks to my heart. I hear Him through the words of the Bible. I hear Him in the prayer of a friend. I hear Him in the laughter of a child. I hear Him through the melody of a praise song or an old hymn.

Our God is not some distant being whom we cannot know. Not at all. I know my God. I know Him intimately. And I have no doubt He is with me, guiding me, carrying me, protecting me, providing for me …

Yes, there is much I don’t know. There is much I won’t know this side of heaven. But that’s as it should be. I want to serve a God who is so much greater than I could ever be.

As God Himself said through His servant, Isaiah:
"For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD.
“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways,
And My thoughts than your thoughts."
(55:8-9, NKJV)
Although much of God remains a mystery—and rightfully so—He will reveal Himself to a truly seeking heart.

If you don’t know this God who dearly loves you, if you’re still skeptical, do this. Just say, “God, if you truly exist, reveal Yourself to me.”

And He will.

No comments: