Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Overcoming Adversity (1 Cor. 4:8-13)

You are already filled, you have already become rich, you have become kings without us; and indeed, I wish that you had become kings so that we also might reign with you. For, I think, God has exhibited us apostles last of all, as men condemned to death; because we have become a spectacle to the world, both to angels and to men. We are fools for Christ’s sake, but you are prudent in Christ; we are weak, but you are strong; you are distinguished, but we are without honor. To this present hour we are both hungry and thirsty, and are poorly clothed, and are roughly treated, and are homeless; and we toil, working with our own hands; when we are reviled, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure; when we are slandered, we try to conciliate; we have become as the scum of the world, the dregs of all things, even until now.
(1 Corinthians 4:8-13, NASB)

I am continually amazed at Paul’s deep love for Christ and his unwavering faith. Many places in his epistles, he wrote of the suffering he endured as a follower of Christ. But he faithfully followed his Lord anyway.

In today’s verses, he wrote of being a fool for Christ, about his weaknesses, and about being dishonored.

He was hungry, thirsty, poorly clothed. He was “roughly treated … homeless.”

And yet, he didn’t complain. He continued to follow God’s call on his life.

Look at how he handled adversity:

~ He blessed those who reviled him.

~ He endured when he was persecuted.

~ He attempted reconciliation when others slandered him.

Do we handle things in the same way? Frankly? I’ve never been hungry or thirsty or poorly clothed. I’ve always had a home. I’ve never really been mistreated because of my faith.

I don’t know if God will ever ask me to live through such adversity, such suffering, such pain, but I pray that, if He does, I will be just like Paul.

No comments: