Wednesday, February 08, 2012

The Fate of the Wicked (Ps. 1:4-5)

The wicked are not so,
But they are like chaff which the wind drives away.
Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
Nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

(Psalm 1:4-5, NASB)

We who follow Christ are abundantly blessed in so many ways. Even if we are going through difficult times, we are still blessed with grace, with mercy, with provision.

Yet, sometimes it seems the wicked are blessed as well. We see those who flagrantly sin revel in wealth and all their “stuff.” We see them prosper … according to the world’s definition. Flashy cars. Sparkling jewels. Designer clothes.

It’s true. Many people who ignore God’s truth or blatantly oppose it are very fortunate in what they have here on earth.

But one day, they’ll stand in front of God’s throne, and just “like the chaff which the wind drives away,” they’ll be “cast into the outer darkness” (Matthew 8:12), eternally separated from God. They won’t join those of us who have committed our lives to Him. They won’t spend eternity “in the assembly of the righteous.”

Like most of us, sometimes I wish I had more of the “stuff” others have. Sometimes it looks like the sinners are winning. But then I remember what I have to look forward to, and I don’t want their “blessings,” in any way, shape, or form.

I’ll take the blessings I do have, and I’ll eagerly anticipate the blessings to come.

No comments: