Monday, June 11, 2012

Call On God By Name (Ps. 8:1)


O LORD, our Lord,
         How excellent is Your name in all the earth,
         Who have set Your glory above the heavens!

(Psalm 8:1, NKJV)

One of the things I love most about the Bible is that God is called by many names. What I love about that is that I can find God by name in each and every situation. If I’m in pain, I can find Him by name. If I have a need, I can find Him by name. If I’m experiencing tremendous joy, I can find Him by name. If I’m lonely, I can find Him by name. This is such a blessing to my heart, and I hope it blesses your heart as well. 

Let’s take a moment to look at how we can find God by name.

  • When you feel lonely, remember that God sees you and is there for you. You can find Him by calling El Roi: the God who sees. (Genesis 16:13)
  • When you have a need, remember that God will provide for you. You can find Him by calling Jehovah Jireh: the Lord will provide. (Genesis 22:14)
  • When you’re in pain, remember that you can find Jehovah Rophe: the God who heals. (Exodus 15:26)
  • When you’re frightened and unsure, remember that you can find the God who is your Refuge and your Strength. (Psalm 46:1)
  • When you’re feeling stressed or out of control, remember that God will calm your spirit. You can find Him by calling Jehovah Shalom: the Lord is peace. (Judges 6:24)
  • When you’re feeling unlovable and unloved, remember that you can find the God who is Love. (1 John 4:16)
  • When you’re surrounded by darkness, remember that you can find the God who is light, and “in Him is no darkness at all.” (1 John 1:5) [Excerpted from The Best Laid Plans © 2005 by Sauni Rinehart]
No matter where you are, no matter what’s happening, you can call on God. By name.

No comments: