Monday, June 18, 2012

You Know It All (Ps. 139:1-4)

O LORD, You have searched me and known me.
You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
         You understand my thought from afar.
You scrutinize my path and my lying down,
         And are intimately acquainted with all my ways.
Even before there is a word on my tongue,
         Behold, O LORD, You know it all.

(Psalm 139:1-4, NASB)

God is with us. At all times. In all circumstances. Always.

How does that make you feel? For some, it’s a tremendous comfort. We’re never alone on our journeys. God is with us to guide us, to protect us, to provide for us, to strengthen us. No matter the curveballs life throws our way, our Lord God walks alongside us.

Always.

For some, however, these verses bring fear or trepidation. God knows me that intimately? they ask. He knows my inner thoughts? He knows my words before I say them? I do nothing in secret? Yes, yes, yes, and no.

When I yell at another driver on the road, it’s not just me in the car. When you access that certain website, it’s not just you at the computer. When she thinks about her boss with true hate, her thoughts aren’t just her own.

Scary? Or comforting?

If your relationship with God is constant and intimate, you may feel remorse or regret when you act or think in a way that doesn’t honor Him, but you quickly repent and immediately regain the intimacy. You love that He’s with you at all times.

However, if you’re distant from God and you’re doing things or thinking things you know displease Him, you would rather He not know every little detail of your life. You want to keep some things in hiding. But you can’t. Not at all.

Where are you today? If it warms your heart to know God is intimately involved in your life, thank Him. Rejoice. For the others of you? Confess your sins. Seek His will. Be grateful that He’s with you to protect, provide, comfort, strengthen, and, yes, convict you.

No comments: