Monday, September 24, 2012

Boasting Isn't Profitable (2 Cor. 12:1-6)


Today’s scripture: 2 Corinthians 12:1-6

Some debate about who the “man in Christ” is that Paul writes about in these verses. Was it Paul himself? Or someone who told his story to Paul? For me, this isn’t one of those “stake in the sand” issues. What matters is what Paul is saying: Boasting isn’t profitable.

When we boast about something we do, two issues arise:

First, nothing we can do is of our own merit (we’ve talked about this before) because everything we have, everything we are, everything we can do comes from God.

Second, if we do boast about ourselves, we run the risk of being foolish. We say we can do something, and then we mess up. Seriously. None of us is perfect, and even the very best of us fails sometimes. For example, I’ve heard some really wonderful vocalists miss a note. Or an amazing actor flub a line.

But when we boast in what God does in and through us, He will use us to glorify Himself. I know when I focus on Him and just let Him work, He allows me to do far more than I can do on my own. He speaks through me in unexpected ways. He helps me to write words I hadn’t planned or remember verses I thought I’d forgotten.

When I know He’s fully with me, even if I mess up in my own weakness, He’ll still be glorified. Because the focus will be on Him and His glory, not me and my human failings.

And that’s exactly as it should be.

No comments: