Wednesday, September 26, 2012

God Uses "Nobodies" (2 Cor. 12:11-13)


Today’s scripture: 2 Corinthians 12:11-13

Paul, the writer of the majority of the New Testament, deliverer of wisdom, faithful servant of God, could very well have boasted regularly about how God used him. Yet one of his most visible attributes is his humility.

I believe he never forgot what God had done for him.

When we first meet Paul, he’s supervising the execution of Stephen. Before he meets Jesus, he wants nothing more than to wipe out this new movement following the upstart Nazarene. He’s on his way to Damascus when, as the Bible says, “Now Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest, and asked for letters from him to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, both men and women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem” (Acts 9:1-2).

Then he meets Jesus: “As he was traveling, it happened that he was approaching Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him; and he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me?’ And he said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said, ‘I am Jesus whom you are persecuting’ …” (Acts 9:3-5).

Even though he had been actually and literally persecuting Jesus' very own people, God saw worth in him.

It’s easy to see why Paul would call himself a “nobody.” And I totally understand his humility. Although Paul showed such hate towards Jesus and His people, Jesus lovingly saved him, and God used him in amazing ways.

I too am a “nobody.” I turned my back on God for so many years, choosing to live, not to honor Him, but to fulfill my own fleshly desires. Yet, when I came back to Jesus, He welcomed me with open arms.

And I too am being used by God. It’s enough to make me fall on my face in humble gratitude.

What an amazingly gracious God we serve!

No comments: