Monday, May 06, 2013

Dying in Christ (John 5:25-29)


Today's scripture: John 5:25-29

The Bible contains so many mysteries ... one of them is what happens when someone who follows Christ dies. Some contradictions seems to exist.

In one of my favorite books, Paul writes to the Christians at Philippi, "For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain. But if I live on in the flesh, this will mean fruit from my labor; yet what I shall choose I cannot tell. For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to depart and be with Christ, which is far better" (1:21-23, NKJV). Then to the church in Corinth, he writes that being absent with the body means to be present with the Lord (see 2 Corinthians 5:8).

We can infer from these verses that a Christ-follower who dies will be with Christ immediately. Yet, today's verses seem to say that the dead in Christ will, one day, hear His voice and live. This seems to say that those who have died in Christ are still in the grave. So does this mean that Paul is wrong? Or is John?

As I've said before, I'm no theologian. I have no degrees in Bible literature. I can only interpret based on my own study and what I've learned from teachers and preachers whom I trust. The best interpretation I have is that, upon death, a believer's spirit immediately comes into the presence of the Lord. Now what that manifestation is, I don't know. Is it an ethereal, ghost-like being? A temporary body?

I don't know. But I do believe that when I die, I'll be with Jesus. Then one day, my earthly body will rise and be turned into the glorified body I'm promised.

When it comes down to it, though, what really matters is that we will be with Jesus one day. Or at least of those of us who know Him will. The question is: Do you know Jesus? Are you a child of the King? Have you committed your life to Him?

We don't know the number of our days. We don't know when Jesus will return for His church. If you don't know Him, if you have never committed your life to Him, do so now. Ask Him to take over your life. Read the Bible. Find a church home.

Then you can be confident that, no matter how the mystery is one day revealed, you'll be with Jesus. Forever.

No comments: