Friday, May 24, 2013

The Water of Life (John 7:37-39)


Today's scripture: John 7:37-39

I'm a huge water drinker ... ummm, well, I'm not exactly huge, but I do drink a lot of water. Since I avoid soda and caffeine, I don't have much of a choice. However, sometimes, in the busyness of the day, I forget to fill my ever-present cup. Or if the weather is particularly dry, I may find myself thirsty.

We need water. I just read (and this wasn't an expert opinion) that most people can survive three weeks without food, but only three days without water. We are, after all, made up of something like 80 percent water. Without this critical component, we will die. I've only been marginally dehydrated once. I had a terrible flu and ended up in the emergency room to be rehydrated. It wasn't a pleasant experience.

Just as our bodies need water, so do our spirits need spiritual water. Without the water of life, Jesus Himself, we cannot survive. In fact, in contrast to our bodies' need for H2O, our souls need 100 percent of the "living water" of Jesus.

Through Him comes both salvation and sanctification. When we invite Him into our hearts and lives through the belief in His death, burial, and resurrection, He forgives us and fills us with spiritual water. Then, when we walk with Him each day, surrendering ourselves to Him, He continues to give us what we need to serve Him well. We are filled when we study the Bible and spend time in communion with Jesus.

When we neglect our time with Him, we become spiritually dehydrated. Our souls begin to shrivel up due to lack of spiritual nourishment.

Are you feeling spiritually thirsty? Drink from the words of Jesus. Spend time in the gospels and learn from Him. Read the Old Testament prophets and rehydrate your soul.

No comments: