Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Trinity (John 6:60-65)


Today's scripture: John 6:60-65

One of the greatest mysteries of the Christian faith is the trinity. One God in three Persons. We believe in God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. The best explanation I've heard is comparing the trinity to H2O. It can be liquid, frozen, or steam. It functions differently, but its molecular makeup is still the same.

So, even though each Person of the trinity "functions" differently, they are all the same God.

The Father is on His throne. He is Creator, Sovereign. The Son is seated at the Father's right hand. He came to earth to take on flesh and to pay the penalty for our sins. The Spirit indwells all true believers and encourages and convicts us.

Even though the word "trinity" doesn't appear in the Bible, illustrations of this mystery abound. Today's verses offer such illustrations.

Jesus, God the Son, is speaking. He talks of the Spirit, making it clear that this is the part of the triune God who brings life—eternal life (v. 63). He talks of the Father, stating that only those that have been "granted" access to Jesus will come to the Son. In that same sentence, He talks about Himself (v. 65).

I often pray to each "Person" of the trinity. I worship the Father for His grace and mercy. I praise the Son for His redemption and daily strength. I thank the Spirit for moments of encouragement and needed conviction.

I may not fully understand how God works in each of His "Persons." I do feel tremendous gratitude, however, that I can be confident that the triune God loves me unconditionally, that He is in me to guide and direct my paths, and that I am assured of eternity with Him.

If this concept is holding you back from faith, I encourage you to just pray to God. Don't try to figure out how one God in three Persons can possibly work. His ways are higher than ours because He is, in fact, God (see Isaiah 55:9). We may not always understand those ways, but we can trust in His love and grace.

No comments: