Wednesday, September 04, 2013

On the Way to the Cross: Before Annas (John 18:12-24)



Today's scripture: John 18:12-24

Jesus has been arrested. Now, He's facing His accusers; first, He faces Annas, beginning what would be a sham of a trial. It seems like the enemy has won. Those who opposed Jesus the most have Him in their grips. They think they're in control ... But they're not. One commentary writes:

Events are swirling around Jesus rapidly, but he is still in control. He utters the words that send him to his death, leaving no need for outside witnesses ... Jesus is mocked as a prophet who does not know what is happening, but he is quite aware of what he is doing and why. The scene drips with the tragic irony of humankind's hostility to God's plan and the tenacity of God's Son to rectify what is awry with us all. (Bible Gateway)
Every time I read any of the accounts of Jesus' arrest and trial, I can't help but smile. I don't smile because of what Jesus went through. That still breaks my heart. I smile because I imagine the enemy's gloating as the guards grab Jesus and drag Him to Annas' house. While Satan is not omniscient, omnipresent, or omnipotent, he has been give some level of influence. The Bible tells us that Satan "entered" Judas Iscariot (Luke 22:3), and I imagine that he continually whispered lies to the Jewish leaders.

So, I imagine his thinking, "I've won!"

And I smile because I know what a loser he truly was. Jesus ultimately won this battle—and we know He wins the war!
 

No comments: