Friday, July 03, 2015

Comforted with Presence (2 Corinthians 7:5-7)

Today’s scripture: 2 Corinthians 7:5-7

Have you ever felt as Paul did? Your flesh has no rest? You’re afflicted on every side? You have conflicts without and fears within? Have you ever felt depressed?

I’ve struggled with depression off and on for decades. At one point, I even had to go on anti-depressants. At that time, I wasn’t walking with the Lord, and because I’d pushed away many friends, I felt very alone. I had no one to offer me comfort.

Once I recommitted my life to the Lord, I finally received the comfort my heart craved. And since then, I’ve established relationships that also give me great comfort.

I have no issues with medical help when one is dealing with depression, and professional counseling can be critical. But I don’t think that’s enough. One of the most important ways to handle difficult times is seeking the comfort that only comes from a relationship with the Lord. And by being surrounded by friends and family who can offer physical, tangible comfort ... just as Paul was comforted by the presence of Titus.

No comments: