Wednesday, July 01, 2015

"Perfecting Holiness" (2 Corinthians 7:1)

Today’s scripture: 2 Corinthians 7:1

“Perfecting holiness” … Sounds like a pretty tall order. And one most of us are far from completing.

How in the world can someone as fleshly as I “cleanse [myself] from all defilement of flesh and spirit”? I mean, seriously … I can barely keep my focus where it belongs.

I don’t often argue with Paul, but I have to say: I don’t think we’re able to cleanse ourselves. Maybe I’m the only one, but I am so very incapable of keeping myself pure. I just can’t do it. If I try, I fall. Every time.

I am cleansed through the blood of Christ, and it is only when I confess my sins that I am washed clean (1 John 1:9).

So again, how can I take part of my cleansing and perfecting? By totally and completely surrendering everything I am to my God. If I seek His will for me, then He will continue to perfect me and I will continue to want what He wants for me (see Psalm 37:3-5; Proverbs 3:5-6; Philippians 1:6).

I cannot be holy on my own. I cannot work my way to salvation. I cannot find perfection through my own feeble efforts.

It’s only when I seek God, when I trust Him, when I give up my own desires and focus on His, that I begin to achieve holiness.

Because only then do I desire nothing but Him.

No comments: