Tuesday, September 08, 2015

Live By Faith (Galatians 3:11-12)

Today’s scripture: Galatians 3:11-12

The Webster-
Webster’s Dictionary defines faith as “allegiance to duty or a person” or “belief and trust in and loyalty to God” or “firm belief in something for which there is no proof.”

The first definition is relatively easy. I can be faithful to my husband because I see him and talk with him. I know his history of loyalty and integrity. I have friends I share my secrets with because they’ve proven themselves to be trustworthy.  

That last definition of faith can be difficult. We can’t touch Jesus with our hands or see Him with our eyes. No definite, absolute, tangible proof exists that God exists. Yet countless people have faith in Him.

And countless others don’t believe in God because they want every “I” dotted and every “T” crossed. They say they can’t believe in Him unless He appears in their very presence. They want to know everything about Him.

But a god that can be fully known by our human, finite minds isn’t much of a god at all. I believe in the God who remains a mystery. I’ve seen the results of His work in creation. I’ve experienced His intervention and His miracles.

And even though I’ve never seen Him or touched Him or audibly heard His voice, I know He is. I know He loves me and blesses me and walks alongside me. He heals. He provides. He gives peace.

I have faith in “something for which there is no proof”—for my mind, at least. But my heart trusts completely.

No comments: