Friday, August 05, 2016

Reaping Fruit (2 Timothy 2:6)

Today’s scripture: 2 Timothy 2:6

I get the idea of being a soldier and serving my “superior Officer.” I even understand being an athlete and having to play by the rules. But I have to say, I was a bit stumped by the “hard-working farmer … [being] the first to receive his share of the crops.”

I mean, we’re not supposed to be thinking of rewards or what we can get when we serve the Lord, right?

So I took a look at one of my favorite commentaries, Matthew Henry Concise Commentary. And it began to make sense: “
If we would partake the fruits, we must labour … We must do the will of God, before we receive the promises, for which reason we have need of patience.”

When we serve God with willing hearts, we will see fruit for our labor. When we use the gifts He’s given us, we’ll see results.

When I speak or sing or write, I’m sometimes privileged to be told that God has encouraged someone through me. I see fruit for my labor. But it's not just when God speaks through me. A couple of months ago, I was in the audience listening to another gifted speaker. Afterward, she came to me to thank me for listening with love. She was encouraged because I listened intently and supported her with my smile and body language. I saw fruit from my “labor” using my gift of encouragement.

God will use our gifts when we labor for Him. And we’ll be blessed to see fruit—firsthand.


No comments: