Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Shine in a Dark World (2 Timothy 3:1-5)

Today’s scripture: 2 Timothy 3:1-5

I don’t know if Paul thought of himself as a prophet. Rather, I’m sure he would have described himself as an evangelist. But when I read verses like this, it’s clear God gave him insight to the future. Because these verses perfectly describe this world today.

Think about it. When we watch the news, what do we hear? It’s all about me. My rights. My needs. And because it’s all about me, I can do whatever I want. I can be arrogant and ungrateful. I can disobey my parents and run amok, taking as many risks as I like.

I can talk about others, being as malicious and brutal as I want. Because it’s not about you; it’s about me.

We live in a world in which money is king and God, if He does exist, is far out there somewhere, not concerned with what I do. I can seek all kinds of pleasure, whenever, wherever.

Doesn’t this all sound so familiar? Being Christ-like and striving to be holy is so contrary to our world. Yet, we Christ-followers are called to shine Christ’s light into the surrounding darkness.

But even in the darkness, we can have great hope. As this world gets darker and darker, we can be confident of this: We are in the end times. We are getting closer to Christ’s return.

And one day, sooner than later, darkness will be no more. Love will win out. God will reign.

No comments: