Monday, June 18, 2018

Deserve a Reward? (Psalm 18:20-24)


Today’s scripture: Psalm 18:20-24

As I often do, I looked at today’s scripture in a couple different versions. Words like “recompensed” sometimes need a more contemporary rendering. Two of my favorite paraphrases are the Contemporary English Version and the New Living Bible. Both help to clarify the psalmist words.

I’m especially taken with the NLT version. The psalmist writes: “The Lord rewarded me for doing right …” (20).

That sounds great, doesn’t it? But the question must be asked: What is right?

This too is made clear in verses 21 and 22:
I have kept the ways of the Lord; I have not turned from my God to follow evil. I have followed all his regulations; I have never abandoned his decrees.
Wow.

Can I say the same? Can you? Am I worthy of a reward? Are you?

I don’t know about you, but these verses make me long to say, “Yes!”

And so, while I’m far from perfect, I’m encouraged again to seek God with a stronger focus, striving to be more and more like Jesus.


No comments: