Saturday, February 27, 2010

Choosing Gratitude

I'm taking a break from my focus on 1 Peter to spend some time in gratitude. This has been one of those "best of times, worst of times" weeks. (Okay, certainly not the worst of times, but it hasn't been easy!)

I'm privileged to be part of a wonderful cast of a new stage performance of The Cross and the Switchblade, the amazing story of David Wilkerson's call to give hope to the lost teens of New York City in the 1950s. This has been tech week, and we've had rehearsals for 4-6 hours for the last five nights. My role has me climbing up and down a fire escape several times, and it's taken its toll on my body.

My fibro and chronic back pain are flaring ... my knees look like I've been beat up by a small child ... I feel an almost overwhelming fatigue.

But I'm so very grateful. God is going to work through this production to touch lives. I believe that with all my heart. He's going to lift me above the pain and carry me through tonight's opening. He's going to walk alongside me during the five weekends of performances.

He allows me to be a part of His plan. He uses flawed, weak me to fulfill His will.

So even though there's a part of me that wants to stay wrapped up in blankets in the fetal position, I know God is with me. And so I choose gratitude.

What are you facing today? What pain? What sorrow? What discouragement? Can you (and I know it sounds cliched) choose to see the silver lining? Can you choose gratitude?

I pray you can, my friend.

No comments: