Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Giving Thanks

Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
And into His courts with praise.
Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
For the LORD is good;
His mercy is everlasting,
And His truth endures to all generations.

(Psalm 100:4-5, NKJV)

Yesterday, I wrote about finding joy simply because I’m God’s daughter (or as I like to say when I speak, I’m a much-loved daughter of the King!). Today’s verses complete that thought.

Because I’m God’s, because He loves me, I can be joyful. Even more, I can be grateful for everything. Everything. Good and bad.

I can be grateful for the daily pain that requires a reliance on Him. I can be grateful for times of trial that strengthen me. I can be grateful for difficult relationships that cause me to be compassionate.

Mostly, I can be grateful that the God who loves me is good. He’s merciful.

I know it sounds trite, but it’s true. God will use all things for His ultimate good (Romans 8:28). It may not seem that way today, but as I wrote in my book, The Best Laid Plans:

• God loves you.
• God is beside you every moment, in every circumstance.
• God will use the pain you’re experiencing today to strengthen you.
• And, one day, you will see how your yesterday will bless your today and give you hope for tomorrow.

I’m not white-washing pain, my friends. Believe me. I understand pain more than some, not as much as others. But I do know that if I can be genuinely thankful, blessing and praising God, I see His goodness.

I pray you’ll see that same goodness, no matter what you’re going through. And that you, too, will give thanks.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hooray for giving thanks! What a spiritual tonic, a helathy perspective-giver if ever there was one! Thanks, Sauni

Nancy’s Play Zone said...

Psalm 100 is such a beautiful passage. Sometimes I take God's goodness for granted, and forget to say "thank you." Thanks be to our LORD for His unfailing love and care for us.