Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Longing for God's Word

Therefore, putting aside all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander, like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation, if you have tasted the kindness of the Lord.
(1 Peter 2:1-3, NASB)

I asked Jesus to come into my heart when I was six, and as a child, I loved God’s Word. While I’m not sure I’d describe myself as “longing” for His Word, I remember reading and memorizing scriptures with joy.

Then came my twenty-year rebellion. As my path meandered, times when I wanted nothing to do with God intersected with moments I desired nothing more than to find Him again.

I recommitted my life to Jesus in September of 1993, and for a while, I was content just knowing I was back in the fold. Praise God, that contentment didn’t last. About five years into my renewed relationship, I realized I needed more. If I was going to become the woman God desired me to be, if I was going to “grow in respect to salvation,” I needed really know God’s Word. I needed to meditate and study and respond.

I needed to long for it.

In the last sixteen plus years, I still experienced seasons where that longing was suppressed—usually by my own selfishness or pride. But for several years now, I seek to spend time in God’s Word daily. And I find myself missing that time when I neglect it. I recognize such weakness in me that if I don’t take this crucial time, I tend to falter.

I’ve “tasted the kindness of the Lord,” and the least I can do is make time for Him, in prayer and enjoying the “pure milk” of the gift of my Father’s Word.

I pray for you, my friend. Long for the Word of your Father. Grow in Him. Be grateful to Him.

No comments: