Monday, February 01, 2010

Finding Joy

Make a joyful shout to the LORD, all you lands!
Serve the LORD with gladness;
Come before His presence with singing.
Know that the LORD, He is God;
It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves;
We are His people and the sheep of His pasture.

(Psalm 100:1-3, NKJV)

Some of my dearest friends are finding it hard to be joyful these days. It’s been a tough week for some. For others, it’s been a tough year or more.

Fractured relationships. Fragile finances. Failing health.

Many seem to be surrounded by very dark clouds. Where’s the rainbow? Or the silver lining? Will the sun ever shine through?

It’s hard sometimes to see any light through the shadows, but when I read these verses, I remember something very, very important. My joy doesn’t come from circumstances. It doesn’t come from sunny skies. It doesn’t come from my stuff. It doesn’t come from a paycheck. It doesn’t even come from my relationships.

My joy comes from one place, and one place only. The assurance that I am God’s. I am His daughter. And He loves me.

And while I may not know exactly what’s around the corner, I can joyfully shout. I can serve Him with gladness. I can praise Him with singing.

Because I know that He is God.

No comments: