Tuesday, September 21, 2010

An Answer in the Day of Trouble (Ps. 20:1-2)

May the LORD answer you in the day of trouble!
May the name of the God of Jacob set you securely on high!
May He send you help from the sanctuary
And support you from Zion!

(Psalm 20:1-2, NASB)

“Nobody knows the trouble I’ve seen.
Nobody knows my sorrow.
Nobody knows the trouble I’ve seen.
Glory hallelujah.”

The words from this old spiritual seem contradictory. Nobody knew the writer’s trouble and sorrow, but he could still sing “glory hallelujah.”

Why? How?

Perhaps he was familiar with psalms such as the 20th. Perhaps he knew his God would answer in the “day of trouble” and would hold him “securely on high.”

I’m so grateful to know that my God hears my prayers and cries for help in the days of trouble. When I’m in pain, He holds my hand … and sometimes He carries me. When my last ounce of energy is depleted, He gives me supernatural strength. And when I grieve, He wipes my tears.

The old spiritual may be right. Maybe nobody does know your trouble, your sorrow. Nobody on earth, that is.

But I kind of like the alternate lyrics:

“Nobody knows the trouble I’ve seen.
Nobody knows but Jesus.
Nobody knows the trouble I’ve seen.
Glory hallelujah.”

No comments: