Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Striving to Please (Gal. 1:10)

For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.
(Galatians 1:10, NASB)

Such conviction in a single verse … and with such a simple question: Whom am I “striving to please”?

If I’m a true Christ-follower, the obvious answer is “God.” But when I look into the deepest part of my heart, is that the real answer?

Do I worry about how others will see me more than how God sees me?

Do I stress about how I’ll be seen as a speaker or a singer or an actor? Do I do these things for the accolades of man?

Or do I joyfully and gratefully do what God’s called me to do no matter what others might think?

Of course, I want to serve my God with excellence, but if I’m really, truly serving an “audience of One,” it won’t matter if I mess up. It won’t matter if I blow a line or my voice cracks. If my heart is focused on God, He’ll be pleased. And if man ridicules me or persecutes me or laughs at me? It won’t matter.

Because my God will be smiling, pleased with my heart.

No comments: