Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Lord, Hear My Prayer (Ps. 84:8)

O LORD God of hosts, hear my prayer;
Give ear, O God of Jacob! Selah.

(Psalm 84:8, NKJV)

Prayer is one of those “mysteries” I don’t fully understand. Our God is all-knowing and all-powerful, so how can our prayers make a difference? I’m not exactly sure. But I know they do.

I know we’re commanded to pray. Paul wrote in 1 Thessalonians that we’re to, “Pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus” (5:17-18). And in his second letter to Timothy, he wrote that we should “pray everywhere, lifting up holy hands, without wrath or doubting” (2:8).

But it’s not just about what we’re supposed to do. It’s also a privilege for God’s children. It’s an amazing thought to know the Creator of the universe wants to hear my voice; He wants to hear your voice. In fact, “the prayer of the upright is His delight” (Prov. 15:8b). Have you ever thought about it? That your voice delights God?

Amazing.

And when we pray, we put our focus exactly where it should be: on the Lord. We seek His will for our lives and the lives of those we love. We offer words of praise and worship. We confess those things we’ve done that break His heart.

I don’t know why we’re commanded to pray. Not really. But I do know it’s something we shouldn’t take for granted.

In fact, we really should pray without ceasing—just as Paul said we should.

No comments: