Friday, September 08, 2017

Joy from Mourning (Psalm 126:5-6)

Today’s scripture: Psalm 126:5-6

I’m a crier. Seriously.

I’m one of those that cry at movies, at books, at commercials, at videos of men and women returning from deployment, at weddings, at babies’ births.

I cry at sad things. I cry at happy things.

Yep. I’m a crier.

Tears can be expressions of joy or sorrow, and they often can be cathartic. I mean, who doesn’t sometimes just need a good cry?

But when someone is grieving, deep in the heart grieving, sometimes it seems like the tears will never end. The loss of a spouse, a parent, a child … how can one ever find joy in those tears?

In the moment, in the heart-ripping, never-ending pain, joy seems so far away.

If you’ve been there, though, you know that joy does come. Maybe it’s tempered with pain, but it does come.

The memories never fade. The good times are never forgotten. The tears of today gradually become the joy of tomorrow.

If you’re sowing in tears today, keep your focus on the Joy-Giver. One day, you’ll reap with joy.

No comments: