Wednesday, August 01, 2018

Greatly Rejoice (Psalm 21:1-4)


Today’s scripture: Psalm 21:1-4

This psalm is credited to King David, so we can rightfully conclude that he was writing about himself. What I see right away is his confidence in his God. In the very first verse, he made a statement. Not a request. A statement.

He stated that he “shall have joy in [the Lord’s] strength.” He exclaimed how he would “greatly … rejoice” in the Lord’s salvation.

Love those words: joy and rejoicing.

And he found joy in more than strength and salvation. He received his “heart’s desire.” He had “blessings of goodness.” The Lord had “set a crown of pure gold upon his head.”

I certainly rejoice in strength and salvation. I’ve so often received my heart’s desire. I’ve been abundantly blessed. And although I don’t have a queen’s crown on my head, I do know a crown awaits me (2 Tim. 4:8).

Then there’s the final verse: King David rejoiced that he was given “length of days …” Forever.

Second only to salvation itself, that is the greatest blessing of all: confidence in eternal life with the Lord. Forever.

No comments: