Sunday, October 31, 2010

Purpose in Suffering (Psalm 119)

[NOTE: I’ll be back in Galatians tomorrow, but I’m taking a quick break. Mostly because I really need today’s words.]

Psalm 119 ...

Remember the word to Your servant,
In which You have made me hope.
This is my comfort in my affliction,
That Your word has revived me.
(vv. 49-50)
May Your compassion come to me that I may live,
For Your law is my delight.
(v. 77)
Your faithfulness continues throughout all generations;
You established the earth, and it stands.
They stand this day according to Your ordinances,
For all things are Your servants.
If Your law had not been my delight,
Then I would have perished in my affliction.
I will never forget Your precepts,
For by them You have revived me.
(vv. 90-93)

So much suffering in our world. Natural disasters. Disease. Abuse. Criminal activity.

It makes Paul’s words to the Philippians truer than ever: “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain … For I am hard-pressed between the two, having a desire to be with Christ, which is far better” (Phil. 1:21, 23).

The older I get and the frailer my body becomes, the more I long to be in the arms of my heavenly Father.

But as long as God keeps me on earth, I know He has a purpose for my being here. And I know this because of His word to me. Verses like Jeremiah 29:11 remind me that He indeed has a plan for my life.

And verses like those highlighted today help me to better handle times of affliction. God is faithful, and He holds me tightly through my pain. I can read words of comfort throughout the Bible, and I am revived.

I wonder sometimes how those who don’t know Jesus survive affliction. If they don’t see a purpose in their pain, why bother?

I know, for me at least, Psalm 119:92 rings very true:

If Your law had not been my delight,
Then I would have perished in my affliction.


I pray for everyone who suffers. I pray they’ll delight in God’s word. And remember that He does have a purpose for the pain. We may never know this side of heaven what that purpose is, but He does have a purpose.

He promises.

No comments: