Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Son Fulfilled the Law (Gal. 3:20-21)

Now a mediator is not for one party only; whereas God is only one. Is the Law then contrary to the promises of God? May it never be! For if a law had been given which was able to impart life, then righteousness would indeed have been based on law.
(Galatians 3:20-21, NASB)

Jesus mediates between us and God. It was His sacrificial death and victorious resurrection that paid our sin debt. And now He sits at the Father’s right hand and intercedes on our behalf.

And as we’ve said several times through our studies, the Son fulfilled the Law. He was not contrary to it. The Law itself could not save us from our sins. It could not “impart life.” Only the sacrifice of a perfect Lamb could do this.

I don’t know about you, but this gives me tremendous assurance and encouragement. I know I couldn’t become righteous on my own. Even though I’ve been walking with the Lord for a long time, and even though I do my best to follow His commandments, I fall … more often than I’d like. And if I had to rely on my own abilities to be “good,” I’d be destined for eternal separation from God.

But I’m not. I am confident I’ll spend eternity with my Father. I know my sins are forgiven, and I know I’m righteous in my Father’s eyes.

Because I accepted the Son’s gift of payment for my sin. I committed my life to God—Father, Son, and Spirit.

And He has given me life. Eternal life.

No comments: