Monday, October 04, 2010

Waiting on the Lord (Gal. 2:1-3)

Then after an interval of fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along also. It was because of a revelation that I went up; and I submitted to them the gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but I did so in private to those who were of reputation, for fear that I might be running, or had run, in vain. But not even Titus, who was with me, though he was a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised.
(Galatians 2:1-3, NASB)

We’ve talked about this before: God always answers prayers, but He answers differently, according to His will. Often, the hardest answer to receive from God is “wait.”

Sometimes God just wants us to patiently await His work. Paul waited 14 years to continue his God-given journey. He was an itinerant missionary and knew God had designed a particular path for him to take. And he was patient, knowing God would reveal His will in His timing.

Have you prayed for something for a long time, yet you feel God hasn’t answered? Chances are, He’s asking you to wait and trust Him.

I’ve been praying over 17 years for my husband’s salvation. I believe God is softening his heart, but so far, the answer has been, “Wait, My daughter.” It’s hard sometimes, but I know without doubt that God is faithful. I know with quiet certainty that He loves Russ so much more than I ever could. I know I can patiently and trustingly wait for the moment when the answer is finally, “Yes!”

We are invited to come to God and pray to Him, knowing He will listen. (See Jeremiah 29:12-13.) But we have to be ready to receive whatever His answer is. Even if He asks us to wait. For 14 years … or 17 years … or even longer.

No comments: