Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Answered Prayers (Psalm 34:4)


Today's scripture: Psalm 34:4

One of the greatest blessings in knowing the God of the Bible is the assurance that He hears my voice. So often, I call to Him in my pain and weariness. And I know He hears me ... and answers my prayers.

We who follow Christ have a familiar saying: "God always answers prayers. Sometimes He says 'yes.' Sometimes He says 'no.' Sometimes He says 'wait.'" But He always answers. Always.

As I look back over my life, I see times when the answer was immediately yes. The most memorable time was when we moved from La Habra to (now) Eastvale 13 years ago. The way everything worked out so smoothly with selling our old house and getting the exact lot we wanted here was so clearly a yes from God.

A clear no was my prayer for having a baby. I prayed for several years, but with a final diagnosis of endometriosis, I heard God's loving voice say, "No, this isn't My plan for you." Even in His no for my having a baby, though, God answered yes. How can this be? Well, after a while, I changed my prayer to "Lord, if it's not Your will for me to have a baby, would you please give me peace?" And that's the yes answer I received.

I currently live in a waiting season for several of my prayers. I continue to pray for my husband's salvation. I continue to pray for God's leading for our future. I have no indication that God has shut any doors and that I should stop praying, and so I pray. And I wait.

God does hear our prayers. He does lovingly listen to our petitions. And He does answer them ... in His will and in His timing.

We just have to trust Him. We need to thank Him when He clearly answers yes or no ... or wait patiently until He does.


No comments: