Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Our Present Help (Psalm 46:1-3)


Today's scripture: Psalm 46:1-3

Yesterday, I mentioned Psalm 46:1, and since it begins one of my favorite psalms, I thought, for the next few days, we'd spend some time meditating on its truths, starting with those words that have brought me comfort many, many times:

God is our refuge and strength,
A very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear …
I love these words. So many times I need a refuge, and God is there. So many mornings, I wake up weak and aching, and God is my strength. Every moment of every day, He is my present help. My present help.

So I never have to fear. Through earthquakes and floods, I don’t have to fear. Through trials and tribulations, I don't have to fear. Through pain and suffering, I don't have to fear.

I don’t know about you, but these words bring me such peace, such hope. On days like today when I have a full schedule grading papers (many of them!) and feel less than well, I know God will be my refuge and strength. He’ll be my shelter, my help.

And so I can move forward with confidence, without fear. So can you.


No comments: