Thursday, July 31, 2014

Distractions ... (Psalm 40:16-17)



Today's scripture: Psalm 40:16-17
Praising God, rejoicing in Him ... one of my favorite things to do. And yet, I do often neglect to do so. It's not because I love Him any less; it's just that I get so caught up in "stuff." I was especially convicted of this very thing this morning.

A while ago, my small group went through Francis Chan's Crazy Love, and one of the study questions asked me to "List the elements in [my] life that keep [me] distracted [from God]. List both good things and bad things." As I went through this exercise, I recognized (not that I didn't already know this) that my distractions stem from pain.
Anyone who suffers from chronic pain or ill health understands what I mean about its being a distraction. When you're hurting, often your focus is solely on "what can I do to manage this pain?" Pain can easily cause a loss of focus. So, when I'm trying to just function, just get done what needs to be done, I can lose sight of God's work in my life. I fail to fall at His feet in praise and worship.

Yet, the irony is that when I feel the worse is when I need to cling to Him the most. I need to cry out in my neediness, knowing that He is my "help and my deliverer."

I can rejoice in Him. I can magnify His name. And, in fact, if I keep my focus on Him, those things that distract me lose their hold.

No comments: