Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Lord, Help Me! (Psalm 40:13-15)



Today's scripture: Psalm 40:13-15

I'm focusing on verse 13 today. Verses 14 and 15 deal with those who were "seek[ing] to destroy [the psalmist's] life," which is something that most of us don't experience. However, we have cried out for deliverance. From pain. From trials. From failing relationships. From financial difficulties.

We often need God's deliverance, and as The Message paraphrases, His "intervention."

While I don't feel attacked by human enemies or those "who wish me evil," I do know I'm in a battle. I know the enemy of my soul wants to drag me down and doubt God's love for me. Chronic pain can do that. It can make me want to give up. My health has fallen to a new "normal." This new plateau has brought a higher level of chronic fatigue and pain. More than once, I have cried out.

I have echoed the New Living Translation's interpretation, "Please, Lord, rescue me! Come quickly, Lord, and help me." On those days when I feel alone, I may use words closer to the Contemporary English Version's, "Please show that you care and come to my rescue. Hurry and help me!"

Although God doesn't remove the pain, He does remind me of His loving presence. He does give me enough strength to accomplish what I need to ... if just for that moment or that day. He does "show that [He] care[s] ..." He does help me.

If you're feeling overwhelmed by life, then cry out to God. Cry for His rescue, for His strength, for His help. He will hear you, and He will answer.

No comments: