Thursday, June 04, 2015

A Fragrance of Christ (2 Corinthians 2:12-17)

Today's scripture: 2 Corinthians 2:12-17

The title of one of the talks I give through my ministry is “Are You an Annual or a Perennial?” The premise is that some people are day-in, day-out totally committed followers of Christ. They “bloom” year-round. Others are those annual, go to church on Easter “Christians.”

I talk about how those who “bloom where they are planted” are pleasing to the Lord, and I mention verse 15 of today’s scripture. Those who are surrendered to the Lord are the “fragrance of Christ to God …”

When we commit fully to the Lord and live as Christ has called us to live (see Mark 12:30-31), we are fragrant examples of Christ to others. Rather than spending all our time and energy on pointing out what’s wrong with others, we could be loving, kind, gentle, and patient. We could help those in need. We could, as we looked at yesterday, encourage and affirm those around us.

We could attract unbelievers by the sweet fragrance of Christ rather than repel them with foul-smelling words of hate or abuse.

I don’t know about you, but I want God to smile as the fragrance of how I’ve lived for Him wafts heavenward. The alternative just isn’t acceptable …

No comments: